Dear Pastors, Partners, & Praying Friends,
“Snow, language school, cold weather, and fulfilling the Great Commission. What a life! .”
I received this message on twitter, and I couldn’t agree more! What a privilege it is to get to serve the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords in the largest nation on earth.
As I sit here writing this letter from China, I realize that we are living the life! No, our lives are not perfect or even easy for that matter. In fact, our lives are filled with more stress now than ever before as we find ourselves having to adapt to cold weather and learn a new language. Many mistakes have been made along the way, but we wouldn’t have it any other way! Our desire is to be faithful to the Master’s use.
With the start of the new year, I can’t help to look back and smile at all the great things that our God has done in 2010. Those of you who have been following our prayer letters and/or have been staying connected with Project China know about all the changes that have taken place in our lives over the past year.
Here is a quick recap:
- In January, we had 60% of our support coming in, which led us to make a decision by faith to leave for the field on August 10, 2010.
- In February, I was ordained by Vision Baptist Church. Two days before my ordination however, we found out that our baby which we were expecting to be born in June, had Body Stalk Anomaly, a condition that would make it “incompatible with life” once it was born.
- In March, we saw our support increase and many give towards our setup fund.
- In April, we made our departure date official by purchasing our plane tickets.
- In May, our Visas were approved and issued, and on the 27th of this month, our 3 lb. 2oz baby boy was stillborn. Shortly after his birth, we buried our precious second child.
- In June, we were able to attend the Our Generation Student Leadership Camp where many decisions were made to give Christ all, and several left saying they were “”willing and desirous to go to the mission field.”
- In July, we started saying our goodbyes as we realized it would be our last full month of deputation.
- In August, our church held a “blessing service” for us. Two days later, we left for the field on the date that we had made by faith in January.
- In September, we settled into our apartment, and by the end of the month, we started language school.
- In October, language school was underway, and we were slowly learning how to adapt to our new life.
- In November, we continued with our language studies.
- In December, we finished our third month of language school. While we knew there was definite progress made, we realized there is still a long way to go!
What a life! What a God that we serve! We are excited about what the Lord has in store for us in 2011. He has been faithful over the past year, and we know He will remain faithful throughout this new year. He was good last year and we know He will be good this year! Amen!
Thank you for being a part of our team, Project China, in 2010 with your prayers and financial support! We look forward to your continued partnership in 2011.
The Tolson Family