Ezekiel 34:23 And I will set up one shepherd over them, and he shall feed them, even my servant David; he shall feed them, and he shall be their shepherd.
God is angry with the shepherds. The only true shepherd is the Lord Jesus Christ. As I read this chapter I see what God wants in a pastor. I do not feel like I live up to it but I strive towards this. I believe that this list will be what we should all look for in our pastor. I do not feel like he will be all of it like he should but it should be a goal he strives for every day.
1. A pastor that is more concerned about the welfare of his people than himself. Ezekiel 34:2
2. A pastor that feeds his people the Word of God. Verse by verse, the whole counsel of God, not just pet peeves or personal preferences. Ezekiel 34:2
3. A pastor that is concerned about and trying to meet the needs of his people. Ezekiel 34:4
4. A pastor that tenderly leads his people. Not a manipulator, nor a dictator, nor one that would use the bully pulpit to keep his people in line but would lead them with love, kindness, and gentleness. Ezekiel 34:4
5. A pastor that would seek to protect his people from the devil and sin. Ezekiel 34:8
6. A pastor that will seek out his people when they get off track and try to bring them back to the Lord Jesus. Ezekiel 34:16
7. A pastor that will desire to restore his people when they stray and not be vindictive. Ezekiel 34:16
8. A pastor that will protect the purity of the truth, the Word of God, the preaching and teaching so that God’s people have good spiritual food. Ezekiel 34:19
9. A pastor that will make much of the real pastor. Ezekiel 34:23
10. A pastor that will seek the blessings of heaven for his people. Ezekiel 34:26