The following information comes from here! The writer is Terry Whalin! I found it to be very interesting and want to challenge you to be a reader!
Reading the right books could do a great work in your heart and life.
Over a year ago in these entries, I gave some reading statistics from bestselling author Harvey Mackay’s newspaper column. They are disappointing:
“* Only 14 percent of adults with a grade-school education read literature in 2002.
* 51 percent of the American population never reads a book of more than 400 pages after they complete their formal education.
* 73 percent of all books in libraries are never checked out.
* The average American watches 32 hours of TV every week.
* The average American reads only eight hours (books, newspapers, magazines, Yellow Pages, etc.) every week.
* The average American annually spends 10 times more on what he puts on his head than what puts into his head.”
With these statistics, it is little wonder that parts of the publishing business are struggling (and even predicting the struggle will continue for some.)
Consider these additional statistics from Harvey Mackay:
* “If you read just one book a month for 12 straight months, you will be in the top 25 percentile of all intellectuals in the world.
* If you read five books on one subject, you are one of the world’s foremost leading authorities on that subject
* If you read just 15 minutes a day — every day for one year — you can complete 20 books.”