For Your Mind
1) Read 1 Timothy 2:3â€“10. What do these verses say about the motivation for modest dress?
2) How do we know that 1 Timothy 2:9 does not prohibit women from making themselves beautiful?
3) How do women who dress modestly serve men?
For Your Heart
4) Who are you trying to imitate or identify with through your appearanceâ€”godly women, or women of the world?
5) This chapter notes that your wardrobe is a public statement of your personal and private motivation. What does your clothing communicate about your motivations and priorities?
6) Think of a woman who is admired for her godly character and good works. What aspects of her godliness do you particularly want to emulate?
For Your Life
7) What about your wardrobe may need to change so that your appearance can better reflect the transforming power of the gospel?
8) What steps can you take on your next shopping trip to ensure that your clothing purchases reflect humility, modesty, and self-control? (Some ideas: Pray for Godâ€™s help and provision in finding modest clothing; check each article of clothing you try on for modesty as well as fit; ask your father, husband, or a trusted friend to evaluate items youâ€™re not sure about.)
9) Mothers, what steps can you take to train your daughters to value godliness over fashion, to nurture humility and self-control, and to wear clothing that reflects these virtues? Fathers, what steps can you take to care for and lead your daughters in humility, self-control, and modesty?